Alive-versary Year 6


 6 years… 2,190 days since I walked past the wrong end of a .45 hollow point. 

Six years of some of my highest highs and certainly some of my lowest lows. Days, weeks, months and years slowly starting to blur together. My wheelchair starting to become just another decision that I make each morning. Starting to become an extension of my body. 

I can’t help but think back to the team meetings we’d have each Wednesday while I was in the hospital. My therapists going over my care plan with my doctor while I reclined my power chair because my blood pressure was crashing. Hearing them say the word “years” stung a part of my soul. “How is this my reality?” I thought while feeling the blood circulate back to my head. I look over to my mom who attended most of these meetings with me. She sat there so thankful that her son was alive. Me… not so much.

Here I sit in 2023. The culmination of 6 years of struggles and suffering. Enough “daily grind” to break most people. Yet, somehow we rise. Every single one of us gets up and takes on the day. Why should I be special?

My life is incredible. This version of Josh Keller is refined. Not only by struggles but by every aspect of humanity. I’ve experienced unwavering love as I married my beautiful wife in 2022. I’ve received endless support from my two families and watched as my closest friends did everything that they could to get Josh Keller 2.0 involved in every get together. I’ve been humbled to take on leadership roles and ambassadorships with incredible nonprofits. I’ve also been on the receiving end of many foundations and am eternally grateful for their generosity. I honed my craft in the arts and continue to make incredible connections through networking. I’ve continued my pursuit to higher education while I navigate college. 

If only that scared kid sitting in his team meeting could see this proud man taking on life and crushing it. Six years have moved me to this point. It wasn’t always pretty and it definitely wasn’t easy but here we are. The grind continues and I can’t wait to see where I’m at for year 7. 

God Bless!

For my other posts about my Alive-Day: https://liferollson365.blogspot.com/search/label/Alive-Day

“We shouldn’t pray for an easy life but for the strength to endure a difficult one. Because the experience of suffering is the fullest expression of God’s love. It is a chance to be closer to Christ.”

Comments

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Perspective

Family Friday - Kass