It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint

 There are two quotes that you hear constantly with Spinal Cord Injury…

“It’s a marathon, not a sprint” & “no news is good news”

Every September is my annual SCI check up at the VA Clinic. It’s just a day full of appointments to track any health changes. It starts with blood work & labs. A Uro-Dynamic Study of my bladder and kidney pressures. An ultrasound of the same organs. And re evaluation of the ASIA exam to check for sensation and functional changes.

The end result of the day is usually, “congrats you’re still healthy and doing well! See ya next year!” Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy maintaining my health (which is no easy feat) but I’m trying to thrive! Kass and I just kind of expect to suffer through the day and head back to the house after the appointments. Well, something happened yesterday which was a pretty good confidence booster. After my reevaluation it was determined that I am functioning around the a C5 - C6 level which is almost an entire vertebrae below my diagnosis! 

I remember sitting in my initial meetings with my care team listening to everyone about how my life would be years from my hospital stay. I would get so mad! “Years? No way, we should be measuring this recovery in weeks or months? Definitely not years!”.

Unfortunately, with this injury… the unit of measurement is time. I have come to except that fact. What I do now is try to better myself to make myself available for clinical trials in the future. My doctor used to talk to me about how much potential I had being so young and fit at the time of my injury. Like that was supposed to make me feel better? 

Each year I get stronger. Each year I get better. Each year, I challenge what I should or shouldn’t be able to do. And each year, my annual evaluation results are better and better. I am excited with the growth regardless! Slow progress is still progress!


God Bless!


Comments

  1. I’m so proud of you Josh! Your grit and positive mindset are inspiring. Keep breaking those boundaries and pushing those limits. Great things are coming your way! This is only the beginning.❤️Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and have so much to be proud of . Keep on rolling !!! You rock ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following & being part of my journey!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Family Friday - Kass

Perspective