Quadriplegic Winter Survival Kit




It’s not really a secret that winter and I have never really been best friends. Probably a bit of a shock since I grew up in NH where you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a few annual snow storms and a freezing winter season. I was too clumsy for skiing and snowboarding so I stuck to basketball and swimming for winter sports. Mostly to keep indoors, but regardless I’ve generally disliked being cold.
 
My disdain for the cold has definitely amplified since becoming paralyzed. I’ve hit on temperature regulation in past blog posts but in case you’re new to my blog, a fairly common secondary condition to having a spinal cord injury is difficulty in temperature regulation. My body can no longer sweat or shiver and my blood pressure runs much lower now so I naturally feel cold, especially in my extremities. On top of that, nerve pain and AD can often be mistaken for a cold feeling. If something is aggravating a part of my body that I can’t feel, then my body has a natural response of goosebumps and the chills. It is very frustrating because it can come out of nowhere and usually temperature doesn’t matter. It’s more of an internal feeling. For some reason it gets much worse in the winter. I compare it to when people say that their broken bones and joints ache more when it rains. However, there  are some things that help me and I would like to share how I stay comfortable in the winter months. 

Quadriplegic Winter Survival Kit:

1. Heated blanket. 


My number one will always be the heated blanket. They vary in size and price range but with the amount that I use it, I would definitely recommend splurging on a quality brand. It may look absurd but as soon as I start feeling the slightest inclination of the chills, I toss the blanket over my head like a cloak. I could cover my legs with it but I get less satisfaction from that because I can’t physically feel the warmth. Hence why I sit there looking like Yoda without a care in the world. I give the blanket a 10/10.

2. Hot beverages.


There is a reason that coffee is referred to as the “nectar of the Gods”. Oh you don’t call it that? Whoops. I have always loved drinking black coffee. I know that it’s just hot bean water but nothing quite warms the soul like a hot drink. When I was first injured, I was pretty skeptical with coffee simply because of the side effects of caffeine. Once my body settled, it was back to my coffee roots. In the winter, my go to afternoon drink is a cup of wassail. Kass’s mom introduced this cider drink to me a few years back and I get a monthly resupply from her throughout the chilly months. Thank God! Much like the blanket, I find comfort in sipping on a coffee, coco, wassail or tea as soon as I start feeling cold. 

3. Smart Thermostat.

As soon as you step into my house, one thing is usually pretty apparent. I keep this thing hot! In the winter, I really crank the heat. And I do that with my smart thermostat. The Nest thermostat was one of the first purchases that I made when I started making the smart house. I have it linked to my Siri and Alexa account and I can set the temperature in the house with my voice. If I wake up chili I’m able to throw on the heat and vice versa if it gets too hot. The thermostat saves me energy and gives me a monthly readout on energy used and energy saved. Of course I try not to look at it throughout the winter because I really do some damage, but I would strongly recommend getting the nest thermostat if you are in a wheelchair.

4. Heaters and Smart Plugs.


On the rare occasions where I’m not able to get the heated blanket on me, I have a few space heaters throughout the house that I can sit in front of to warm up. They were relatively cheap and they definitely get the job done. Keeping the theme of the smart house, I have them plugged in to smart switches that I can activate with my voice. The smart outlet plugs have been incredible additions to my setup and I strongly advise them to anyone with accessibility issues. 

5. Puppy snuggles.


I think a good method to end on is puppy snuggles. Nothing quite compares to having a dog cuddled up on your lap, especially when your pooch has her winter coat!

As each year passes, I find myself normalizing with the weather. I am slowly getting to a point where I think my body will be able to handle the hot and cold much better. This list is more of a list of cozy home comforts than anything, but each of these comforts definitely help me throughout the winter and I hope they can do the same for you! 

God Bless!







































Comments

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Family Friday - Kass

Perspective