Home for the Holidays

“There’s no place like home.”


I left for the Army right after the 2012 holidays. I rang in the new year (2013) and shipped off to Georgia for basic training. I was so grateful that my ship-off date gave me the chance to celebrate one more holiday season back home. Nothing really compares to being home with family and loved ones after all, right? 

I was fortunate enough to be able to come home for the majority of the Christmases while I was away. It always worked out that I had leave days saved up and had the opportunity to come back to New Hampshire. Sometimes it took hinting to my parents that I would need help paying for a plane ticket because I was “Army broke” but we made it work. Dating Kass long distance gave me a new found longing for coming home for the holidays and it was now a necessity.

Facebook’s memories always remind me of each year’s holidays because my social media runs rampant this time of year. I came home in 2016 and spent my vacation learning Kass’s family traditions and balancing my family’s. I went up North with Kass and spent the New Year at her house ringing it in while relaxing in her family’s hot tub. This was the last time I would be on “vacation” back to NH  because my military contract would be ending a few months later and I would be back home for good. Just two months later, I would be laying in the ICU in Tacoma, Washington fighting for my life, surrounded by all of the loved ones that I had just visited. 

 Christmas 2017 is the black sheep that stands out in my Facebook memories. It was what followed 10 months of struggles, set backs, and events hugely redefining my life.  It was spent with me on bed rest in a hospital gown following a surgery. It was also spent surrounded by friends and family making the best out of a crummy situation.

Then came my first Christmas out of the hospital. What would my new normal be? I was finally home on my terms but things were so so different. I longed for the days where my visits home were spent cramming all kinds of holiday festivities into 7-14 days of Christmas leave. Now I was home for good but confined to a wheelchair, stuck thinking back to the things that I used to be able to do. That’s not to say that that Christmas wasn’t incredible. I got to celebrate in my new home with the love of my life and with families that made huge accommodations to ensure that I was comfortable and able to celebrate with loved ones. It was just different.

Now, flash back one week. Christmas 2019. May just be the best Christmas yet. I woke up in my cozy home next to my beautiful girlfriend and fluffy dog. I got up, put on my matching Christmas onesie. Woke up my buddy who was crashing on my couch and had some cinnamon rolls and coffee that Kass made for us. We opened our gifts as a family while Kona destroyed her new Christmas toys. Then we headed off to Kass’s parents house where we consumed delicious waves of meals and relaxed together after exchanging gifts. After, we went back to my parents house for an incredible ham dinner and a gift exchange with my family. All in all, this Christmas was spent surrounded by love and happiness. I didn’t have a care in the world as I sat proud, full of food and love, in my manual wheelchair. 

It is so funny to look back at these past Christmases and see such profound contrasts.  The years have brought massive strides and improvements in my life. I can’t wait for this year to pop up on my Facebook next year. I’m extremely excited to see where I will be at then! Here’s to 2020 and a Happy New Year!

God Bless!



Comments

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Family Friday - Kass

Perspective