Friends In Low Places


I’ll start this Monday’s post with a quote: “you are the company that you keep.” If this saying rings true, then Kass and I must be pretty damn cool. If you have been on Facebook or Instagram at all this last week then you’ve probably seen some sweet pictures of Kass and I’s getaway to Maine. We applied for a veterans retreat through the Travis Mills Foundation months and months ago and it was easily the best decision that I’ve made since becoming injured.

I don’t intend on going into crazy detail regarding Staff Sergeant Travis Mills simply because of the fact that it isn’t my story to tell. What I can say is that the essence of self pride and motivation that this man gives off is extremely infectious and profound and what he does for the veteran and disabled community is unreal. SSG Mills was a Squad Leader with the 82nd Airborne in Afghanistan and was hit by an IED leaving him one of five surviving quadruple amputees. His story of perseverance and drive is extremely humbling and I urge you to look into it. Chances are that you’ve already seen a speech that was passed around on Facebook or seen videos of his story and haven’t realized it. Needless to say, I internally “fan-girled” when I had the chance to eat lunch and connect with him while I was at his foundation’s retreat. Here are some links to his foundation and to a documentary that was done on him and his family.

https://travismillsfoundation.org/

http://travisthemovie.com/

https://youtu.be/_LV4kwY4Jb8

Our time at the retreat was incredible. Kass and I went there with open minds and open hearts knowing that we were going to step out of our comfort zones and try some fun, new events. For the first time since my injury, my worries seemed to melt away. It was both freeing and eye opening. We got to experience a powerful fellowship through a week of planned events and spontaneous experiences with some incredible men, women and children. It was extremely easy to bond together because we were all there with similar goals; to relax, make connections and have a good time while navigating the trials that come with disabilities together. However, none of our disabilities mattered. Everyone there had undergone different challenges be it physical or mental or both. It wasn’t just veteran helping veteran or spouse helping spouse. It was people helping people. I wasn’t Josh, the quadriplegic. I was just Josh. 

The staff and volunteers went so far above and beyond at treating us to a week without worries or stress. I personally got to do things that I never thought would have been possible a year ago. It is honestly pretty hard to remember all of the things that we did simply because there was so much put together. The events were incredibly therapeutic and I came away from the retreat with a new mindset of ‘what isn’t possible?’. I certainly realized that there isn’t much that’s not obtainable when you have friends like the men and women that I got to meet.

On the last day we said our somber goodbyes as if we had known each other prior to this meet-up. 6 days felt like 6 months. I certainly hope that I get the chance to see everyone again and I cannot wait to apply to future retreats at the TMF grounds. I want to extend a huge thank you to everyone at the foundation. From the staff and employees that made everything so accommodating and therapeutic to the new found friends that never thought twice about picking me up to get me to try something new or to hold my microphone so we could all sing karaoke together. And to Travis Mills for being a prime example of what it takes to push-on. Until next time everyone! 

God Bless.




Comments

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Family Friday - Kass

Perspective