Save Your Sympathy

There is currently a movement in the spinal cord injury community that is being spearheaded by members of the Christopher Reeve foundation called #seeus. It is a movement to promote disability awareness and body positivity for wheelchair users. To show the person and not the wheelchair or handicap. I love the message and the community of it. However, I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with this and here’s why. The reason that I am neutral is because whether or not I want my disability to define me, it always will. Self love is extremely important and embracing my reality is paramount in being proud of who I am. I have worked so hard to accept the fact that I am paralyzed and I think it is unfair to expect someone to ignore that. I will never expect someone to see the fit 25 year old in the chair and not wonder how or why. The only thing that I don’t want from anyone or anything is sympathy. Don’t treat me differently because, well, I’m not different. Someone pretending that I’m not in a wheelchair feels weird. I’ve never been the kind of guy that needs my feelings tip-toed around so I’d be the first to call someone out for being weird around me. I think that the issue with the #seeus movement is people’s opinions. A lot of people see the wheelchair and think sympathetically. Of course this is a normal reaction but in some regards, it’s an ignorant reaction. 

I have relearned how to do a lot for myself and I have conquered some pretty significant mental hurdles in these last few years. I am proud of where I am at now. When I think about what I would think or how I would act if I saw someone like myself in a chair I am torn. I would feel bad... I know that I would. My feelings wouldn’t be very warranted and I would be acting out of ignorance. The experiences that I have had and what I have learned from my injury has shaped me for the better. In some ways, I am a better man with more wisdom than most. The issues with being sympathetic is that it is, in layman’s terms, an assumption. I think we all know the saying “when you assume then you make an ASS out of U and ME.” 

When you feel bad for me (out of context), you’re assuming that my life or some aspect of it is worse than yours. I am perfectly fine with people being curious. I understand that seeing me is out of the norm (which is what the #seeus movement is trying to address). If someone came up to me and asked me about my experiences or asked me about my life then I would have a conversation with them and educate them and both parties would go away feeling better. I would much prefer that over someone coming up to me and saying “oh, you poor thing” or “you’re so brave”... I think that if I didn’t have the mental state that I have, then hearing this all the time would have the opposite of the intended effect. I would start to feel worthless. I would begin to think that everyone is looking at me like less of a man. 

You should never be afraid to talk to someone with a disability. It’s no different than talking to a healthy person. Some of us are hilarious. I love seeing people’s reaction when I throw out a morbid paralysis joke. One day when I was at the VA hospital, I had a conversation with an older Vietnam War veteran who was there because he had a tumatic brain injury (TBI)  from a fall down a staircase. Truthfully I felt bad for him because I thought that he had it worse off that I did. I was guilty of being sympathetic out of place. In talking with him I learned that he is easily the funniest man on the planet. He and his therapist told me a bit of his backstory and about how much progress he’s made since his injury and I went on to crush my therapy appointment with a new sense of motivation that day... I have learned to embrace my situation and I use humor often. But you would never know that if you come up and assume that I can’t speak or function properly. I understand that it can be intimidating approaching someone with a disability simply because of the fact that you don’t know what the disability is. Sometimes you just need to put on your big-boy/girl pants and approach. Ask away... I think that I’ve proven that I am an open book. There are so many different people with intense experiences just waiting to tell their story (and not all of them have a super cool blog 😉). They/we don’t want to feel excluded. It’s bad enough that most physical places aren’t wheelchair friendly. We don’t need society to be the same way. It’s as simple as that. 

God Bless.



Comments

Popular Posts

The Day It All Changed

Family Friday - Kass

Perspective